Glossary of terms.
- Catalog #
- A Catalog is composed of Pages which contain Sales which contain Sections which contain Lots. Annotations, the hand written text on a page, may be attached to the Page, Sale, Section, or Lot.
- Annotation #
- Any hand written text on a catalog page. An Annotation may be related to a Page, Sale, Section, or Lot.
- Lot #
- A Lot will usually have a number and contain from one line of text to a page or more of descriptive text. Some Lots may also be accompanied by a hand written annotation (often the Sale price).
- Sale #
- A Catalog will contain one or more Sales, content relating to a Sale might include its title, date of Sale and any preamble specific to the Sale. Additionally, the Sale will contain any Sections and Lots belonging to it (i.e. it starts before them and ends after them). Sales will almost certainly span multiple pages.
- Section #
- Sales are often subdivided into Sections. E.g. A Sale might be divided into drawings, landscape paintings, portraits and sculpture. Note that a Sale always contains at least one Section. Sections will often span multiple pages.